Here’s the recipe for Christina Tosi & Karlie Kloss’s Perfect 10 Kookie.
(We’re gonna go ahead and call it a “cookie” from here on out.) The photo is from the day we did the workout video shoot. Whenever we were resetting cameras, Karlie threw on a hairnet and some gloves and pitched in at the bakery, making cookies, keeping busy.
She was easy-going, totally positive and super helpful, a gross set of attributes to pile on top of a person who’s already doing good work for charity (proceeds from these cookies benefit kids) and is, you know, a Victoria’s Secret supermodel. She ruled.
I had to test this recipe when my wife—the baker in the family—was at work, which meant I had to make cookies, a task far outside my culinary purview. After submitting myself to such labors, I can solemnly attest that these cookies—which, mathematically, are as healthy as anything this tasty can be—are embarrassingly easy to conjure.
Perfect 10 Kookie
Makes ~24 cookies
7 C almond flour (794 g)
4¼ C gluten-free oats (397 g)
scant 1 t kosher salt (8 g)
1 T cornstarch (8 g)
½ t baking soda (4 g)
1½ t baking powder (8 g)
1 C slivered almonds (97 g)
1½ C mini chocolate chips (254 g)
1½ C olive oil (282 g)
1 C agave (248 g)
1/4 C vanilla extract (32 g)
1. Heat the oven to 325°F.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir well. Whisk together the wet ingredients in a smaller bowl. Dig out a well in the middle of the dry stuff, pour in the wet stuff, and get to mixing with a rubber spatula, mixing the dough until it is recognizably cookie dough-ish. Eat some, because there’s no eggs in there to worry about, and because you won’t be able to stop yourself.
3. a. Use an ice cream scooper (or a measuring cup; either should be about ¼ C by volume) to scoop dough out on to Silpat-lined sheet pans. Press the dough balls into flat rounds a little less than a half-inch thick.
b. Alternately, dump the whole mess of dough out onto a clean counter and roll it into a half-inch-thick sheet, then cut out cookies with a ring mold – they should be about 2- to 2½-inches wide. Transfer them to lined sheet pans.
4. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes in a conventional home oven – a gas-fired oven that lights from below, or an electric oven with those glowing orange coils. If you’ve got a convection oven, try them at 315°F for 6 or so minutes. Either way, you’re looking for cookies that are ever so slightly browned around the edges. Remove the sheet from the oven and let the cookies cool on them – they will still be soft and fragile when they come out of the oven.
A few notes on this recipe.
a. Yes, you can totally use a stand mixer for step one. There’s no gluten in the dough, so there’s not a chance you could even overmix it!
b. On the ingredients: if you can’t find almond flour, you can order it from amazon.com or, if you’re the DIY type, just grind down a big batch of slivered, blanched almonds in your food processor. Gluten-free oats: health food/hippy/yuppie food stores & Amazon all have ‘em. If you don’t have agave and/or are an adorable anthropomorphic bear, feel free to substitute honey – it changes the cookies a bit, but in a good way. Finally, get the Valrhona-brand mini chocolate chips. They make a difference!
- changelaaa likes this
- findtheinbetween likes this
- fannimolnar likes this
- themountainofmines likes this
- official-selection likes this
- liveforcoffee reblogged this from luckypeach and added:
- youandotherdrugs likes this
- youandotherdrugs reblogged this from luckypeach
- reweti-kohere reblogged this from luckypeach
- reweti-kohere likes this
- grahamandcook likes this
- knapsackandsuperfluity likes this
- teshuaadjoa reblogged this from luckypeach
- openkitchen reblogged this from luckypeach
- colindonaldjoseph reblogged this from luckypeach and added:
- perceptionofsplendor likes this
- kotobanyc likes this
- orangestraws likes this
- soursweetbitterspicy reblogged this from luckypeach and added:
- yanglindayang likes this
- artificialbones likes this
- loentropy likes this
- myyearofresolutions reblogged this from luckypeach
- tonimarie12 reblogged this from luckypeach
- only-okay likes this
- shakeandstrainblog likes this
- wilderlust likes this
- allimuffin likes this
- splendidtable reblogged this from luckypeach
- thesapling likes this
- dispirits likes this
- chantelle reblogged this from luckypeach
- piattoforte reblogged this from luckypeach and added:
- darkigloo likes this
- leslischneider reblogged this from luckypeach
- iamlostinthethrillofitall likes this
- iamlostinthethrillofitall reblogged this from luckypeach
- fyi2makedew0319 reblogged this from luckypeach
- melagrossawriting reblogged this from luckypeach
- melagrossawriting likes this
- eyes-closed likes this
- shellvetica likes this
- leegamecity likes this
- chefstablepdx reblogged this from luckypeach
- chefstablepdx likes this
- mdbkln likes this
- colindonaldjoseph likes this
- coolrunnings20thanniversary likes this
- science-baker likes this
February 8, 2013 | 51 notes